Recently, Mooveweb investigated the behavior of a mobile user in the Americas and Europe. As it turned out, about 60% of the total time spent on the social network, people devote to mobile browsing. At the same time, only 0.2% of users of portable devices out of 60 million shared records and clicked the "Like" button. Thus, the activity of desktop users was higher by 35%.
Mobile traffic on the Internet is becoming more and more, but the benefits of it for the development of online business is minimal. People who come to sites from portable devices do far less than desktop visitors. They rarely perform on sites what is just vital for webmasters (for example, pressing social buttons, registration, etc.). In fact, such traffic is almost useless, so you need to take measures to revitalize it. Further we will tell about the main reasons for this behavior.
Why mobile traffic is inactive
- Privacy. Using mobile devices it is more difficult to share with the record only with those with whom you need, that is, target interesting material only to a narrow circle of friends.
- No need for mass sharing. If a person enters the online store in order to select and buy some thing, he will most likely not share the content to a wide audience of his subscribers. To him, it is simply useless in most cases. Usually they share entertainment or some other viral content with the purpose of its further discussion / receiving likes. In the case of goods, as a rule, the user finds some thing and sends a link to it to an arc or a friend to ask or give advice. For this purpose he uses mobile messengers, rather than social buttons.
- Inconvenience. The reason for the lack of activity may be banal: too small buttons to press with your finger (not all of them use the stylus). In addition, the comment form, which is problematic to fill out, is unlikely to be a desire to express an opinion. It is much more convenient and easier to be active in the social network, where everything is available, simple and convenient.
- Lack of activity from other people. When a person sees that the topic is interesting to others and is being intensively discussed, there is a greater chance that he will also join the discussion. Almost no one wants to be the first, so young sites are so hard to "unleash" users on commenting.
- Internet connection "slows down". Mobile network often leaves much to be desired. The user waits too long for the page to load, so the desire to comment on something or share content quickly disappears. The page should be light and airy for instant download.
- Normal employment. If a user logs on from the smartphone to the Internet during business hours, he / she has 5-10 minutes for a smoke break or lunch to find some important information for the initial review. In this case, web surfing happens quickly, without deep immersion in the topic. It often takes less than a minute to view the site of interest. Here we are talking about affixing likes or repost is not. It is much more important to allow a person to return later to studying the material (for example, after work) or send a link to a friend.
To achieve social signals from a mobile user is no less important than from a desktop one. A person who has made a repost from a smartphone is equally likely to return to the site again and become a regular visitor. In addition, the links from social networks receive additional and very significant mobile traffic.
What should I do to “revive” smartphone users:
- Put large, convenient buttons for sharing in social networks;
- simplify commenting for mobile version and encourage users to join the discussion;
- set the 4Talk and WhatsApp buttons so that people can send messages only to those contacts with whom they want to share information.
All this can be done by improving the design of the mobile version and using social network plug-ins optimized for portable devices.
Like articles? Subscribe to the newsletter!