Users of personal computers have a huge set of tools, but not everyone uses them.
With the help of some functions, you can greatly improve the usability of a PC, as well as provide reliable protection. One of the ways to improve the system is to install a virtual machine.
What is a virtual machine? This is an emulation of the operating system, and if explained in simple language, then you can run another OS like a normal program.
You do not need to reinstall Windows, all data remains intact, but at any time you can open the OS as a window.
Why do I need a Windows virtual machine?
Such technologies are used for various purposes. Some people are afraid to run files downloaded from the Internet, so they run them on an emulated OS.
This is the real way to check data for viruses without risks. VM works separately, no matter what program you install there, it does not affect the main OS.
In addition, such a useful tool is used to launch programs and games that do not run on older versions of Windows or are created under Windows 7, 8, 10, Vista, and so on.
Not everyone knows that this is even possible, and that even the most dangerous Internet viruses do not penetrate your system, this is an ideal option.
The installation of the virtual machine itself does not take much time and it does not require serious knowledge to launch it. Special installers are made for beginners, but there you need to set certain configurations, so be sure to use our instructions below.
How to set up a virtual machine?
To do this, you first need to download the virtual machine. There are a lot of programs created for this, the most popular ones are VirtualBox, Hyper-V, Virtual PC and VMWare.
You decide what operating system to load; some people deliberately install the most modern OS in order to gradually get used to it.
Of all the options available, I liked the virtual machine the most. Download it only from the office. Site, install and run.
When installing and opening a VM, select the "Run as administrator" mode so that unnecessary errors do not appear.
To show a clear example, we have already downloaded the VirtualBox virtual machine, installed it and started it.
Now we act there:
- After the first launch, just press the " Create " button:
- The user will need to select an OS for the virtual machine. There are many options, choose the version too, at your discretion. You can specify an arbitrary name:
- Next, you need to set the amount of RAM used. Consider that the VM will consume PC resources, so you need to leave a part for the operation of the main OS. If you install Windows 8 version, allocate at least 1 GB. otherwise it will work slowly:
- Similarly, you need to set the amount of memory from the hard disk that the VM will use:
- We choose to create a new virtual hard disk, so in the next step we are asked to select its type. We will not describe each of them, just choose the first option:
- You also need to select the format for storing information on your hard disk. Dynamic virtual disk allows you to not immediately occupy all the space:
- The last step in creating a virtual machine is an indication of the amount of allocated memory. A few gigabytes is enough, but if you plan to install several operating systems, load a bunch of programs there and you have a large hard disk, it’s better to allocate more memory:
- Preparatory work has been done, but before Starting the virtual machine, you need to enter the settings section:
- First, go to the system settings, remove the check mark from the diskette there, since we will load the operating system from the disk or image:
- It is advisable to turn on acceleration immediately, especially if you plan to install a 64-bit eight:
In the display settings, enable both types of acceleration:
- In the "Media" section, you can specify where the OS will boot from. If it is a disc, choose a live CD / DVD. If an image is used, do everything as in the image:
- A window will open so you can specify the path to the downloaded Windows image:
- Make sure that the selected image was attached in storage media:
- Do not forget to go to the network settings section and enable the network adapter there, at the same time choosing the correct connection type:
- USB settings also require a couple of simple actions.Install filters so that some connected devices are displayed in the main operating system, and others in a virtual machine (also for the correct operation of all connected USB, the VirtualBox 2 plug-in has been created. 2. 16 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack, it can also be downloaded from the official website):
- Another important parameter is set in the public folder section. Create a shared folder in any directory. In the settings you will need to click on the folder with a plus, then select it and be sure to tick the box for auto-connect:
- After you click the OK button in the settings window, you will return to the VM, now it can be launched:
This completes the installation of the virtual machine and its configuration. In theory, after completing all the steps of the instructions, you should have a window open in which the new OS will be launched.
What should I do if an error occurs?
Nothing is perfect, and when using such complex technologies, errors are quite possible. When I tried to start a virtual machine, I got the following window:
It’s not difficult to solve the problem, but you need to go to the BIOS for this. It looks different for everyone, I have a modern version, but the actions are no different, so with knowledge of the English language, you can easily fix the problem:
- Go to the BIOS and go from there to the " Advanced ":
- A window opens with a suggestion to switch to the advanced mode, click OK:
- Now go to the "Advanced" tab, where you need to select the CPU configuration:
- If you have an Intel processor, you will need to enable a special option:
- If the AMD processor, enable the Secure Virtual Machines option. Click F10 and save the changes:
- After completing these steps, when you try to start the virtual machine, a window opens where installation of Windows started:
Then you figure it out, install the OS as usual and start using it.
Virtual machines are really convenient, and by completing the necessary actions once, you can run them at any time. Evaluate the possibility of additional operating systems, without installing it on the hard drive and inconvenient transitions.
You will also be interested in:
- Successful earning stories on the Internet
- What are global reserve currencies?
- Where does the Internet come from?